How we choose links
Contributed content includes links to both internal (MaineLearning.net) and external (non-MaineLearning.net) websites. Contributors select links that are editorially relevant to the content they are linking from and are suitable for the likely audience.
These links are included for a number of reasons, including:
- for further relevant information or other key source material
- for background information
- for useful practical information
- for entertainment or enjoyment
- for further informed comment
Contributors may not link to external sites in return for cash, services, or any other consideration in kind.
External sites will most often be free to access, but users may sometimes be asked to register or subscribe before viewing content.
Links to external websites
External links are selected and reviewed by contributors when the page is published. However, MaineLearning.net is not responsible for the content of external websites. This is because:
- the MaineLearning.net does not produce them or maintain/update them
- the MaineLearning.net cannot change them
- they can be changed without the MaineLearning.net’s knowledge or agreement.
Some of our external links may be to websites which also offer commercial services, such as online purchases.
The inclusion of a link to an external website from MaineLearning.net should not be understood to be an endorsement of that website or the site’s owners (or their products/services).
Links to user generated material
Some of the content linked to on both MaineLearning.net sites and external ones is generated by members of the public (forums and media-sharing sites for example). The views expressed are those of the public and unless specifically stated are not those of MaineLearning.net. If you consider this content to be in breach of rules as indicated on the website, please alert the moderators or site owners on the sites where the material appears.
Sign posts and content information
MaineLearning.net makes video and audio content available online. MaineLearning.net’s online guidelines state:
- Any material on a MaineLearning.net website must be suitable for a general audience including children.
- The first click from a MaineLearning.net webpage should not normally lead straight to a page which includes material which is unsuitable for a general audience.
Where appropriate, users are informed of the nature of the material they might expect to see or hear by clear labelling on destination pages and on the video or radio players.
8/2011, updated on 4/11/2012 to change references to new domain and to include links submitted by content contributors.